Then and Now — 1932 & 2022 — 405 18th Ave NE
From 1932: “Five large bedrooms (French mirrors, ventilated closets); glassed sleeping porch, 3 tiled baths, instantaneous hot water, two fireplaces, music room, sun parlor, etc. Completely furnished, including Frigidaire and electric range. This home, with two-car garage, on full corner lot, warrants immediate action at the CLOSING OUT PRICE OF $12,000. Sold by Harry A. Ford, Realtor”
This house was owned from 1936 – 1951 by Mr. and Mrs. A.F. Thomasson. Alfred Ferdinand Thomasson was born on April 24, 1868, in Union City TN. Alfred attended local schools in Union City and later went to Nashville where he enrolled in Eastman’s Business College. On February 17, 1892, he married Miss Marguerite Alice Posey of Aberdeen MS. They had five children, Helen (1893), Floyd (1895), Ferdinand (1900), Alfred (1904), and William (1915). Alfred had taken a position as a bank clerk in Union City but left there in 1898 to reorganize a bank in Scranton MS, remaining there a year before accepting a position as assistant cashier in the First National Bank of Nashville.
In 1901 he left Nashville and took a cashier position at the First National Bank in Hattiesburg, MS. While in this position Alfred became interested in civic affairs and financial enterprises. He was instrumental in the organization of the Hattiesburg Street Railway and Gas Plant.
In 1909 Alfred and Alice, as his wife was called, moved their family to St. Petersburg where Alfred took a job as a cashier for the Central National Bank. Four years later he became vice-president, a post he kept until 1930 (the same year he became a student pilot at the old Piper Fuller Airport in the Jungle area).
When he wasn’t banking, or flying, Alfred was busy working on the Jungle Country Club, now Admiral Farragut Academy, or organizing the McAdoo bridge company. He was elected to the city commission in 1915 and served until 1923. From 1914 – 1922 he was chairman of the School Board. He was re-elected to the City Commission in 1928.
In 1933 shortly after Franklin D. Roosevelt moved into Washington DC, so did Alfred, to accept an important position with the Reconstruction Finance Corporation. He returned to St. Pete in 1935 and was appointed City Manager. During the later part of his two years of service, he failed to see eye to eye with five City Councilmen and finally resigned, August 31, 1937.
At various times he a member of the Board of Governors of the Chamber of Commerce, chairman of the Municipal Airport Committee, and the City Library and Advertising Board, and later a member of the board of governors of the St. Pete Memorial Historical Society.
Alfred belonged to the local Masonic Lodge, Elks, Rotary, Knights of Pythias, Art Club, Yacht Club and First Christian Church.
On October 2, 1947, Alice passed away at this home at age 75. Alice, a graduate of Belmont College in Nashville, had pursued a musical career and entered the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music from which she graduated, and attended the Boston Conservatory of Music. In St. Pete Alice had been active in business and social affairs. She was interested in art and was one of a group of residents who organized the St. Petersburg Art Club, and she was honored to be elected its first president. Alice had also served as president of the Les Trieze Club and the Carreno Club. In years just prior to WWI she was known as one of the best church soloists in the city.
Alfred passed away on October 8, 1950, at the age of 82. Alfred is buried next to Alice in Royal Palm South Cemetery in St. Pete. After the passing of Alfred, this home at 405 18th Ave NE was sold to Mrs. Anna Murphy of Denver Colorado.