Then and Now — 1935 & 2022 — 140 12th Ave NE
From 1935: “Brand New, exceptionally well built and charmingly arranged. Termite plate protection – Oak floors throughout – Beautiful full tile bath – Central heating plant – Three fine bedrooms – Extra toilet and lavatory – Laundry installed – Storm sheathed with cypress creo-dipt shingles exterior. A gem in the desirable northeast section.”
This house was originally owned by Dr. & Mrs. John F. Myers, a surgeon and owner of a New York hospital. John died in 1942 and the house was sold to Chester and Barbara Bulpitt, owners of Chet’s Cigar Stand next to the downtown post office. Chet died in 1952 and the house was sold to Philip and Toni Amick, whose family owned the house until 2009.
By far, the family living in this house the longest were the Amicks. Philip Breckenridge Amick was born October 24, 1924, in Charleston, W.Va. to Henry and Margarete Amick. Philip was the second youngest of 5 children, his father was a carpenter. In 1928, Philip’s father moved the family to St. Pete, and it was here that Philip received his schooling, graduating from SPHS in 1944. After graduating High School, Philip enlisted in the US Army and served in WWII and Korea. Following his service Philip earned a degree from SPJC and then attended the University of Georgia as well as Lycoming College (Williamsport, PA), where he studied economics.
On April 7, 1951, Philip married Ms. Antoinette ‘Toni’ Merrell Welch. Toni was born in Skaneateles, NY on May 5, 1929, and moved with her mother and grandparents to St. Petersburg at the age of 2. When her mother, Mary Merrell married John Parker Welch in St. Petersburg a short time after that, Mr. Welch immediately adopted Toni as his own daughter. A 1947 graduate of Gill St. Bernard’s School, Gladstone, NJ, Toni returned home and attended St. Petersburg Jr. College where she graduated in 1949. It was there that she met her future husband, Philip. The couple had two sons, John and Philip Jr., who went by ‘Breck’.
In 1952, when Philip returned from the service, he went to work with his father, Henry, at Amick & Son Pest Management, of which company he would later become president. Amick and Son, Inc., is still in business today.
In 1956, Philip and Toni purchased this featured house where they would live out the rest of their lives and raised their sons.
Philip was active in the community as a member of Rotary and the St. Pete Yacht Club. Toni, always active in the arts, was one of the first docents for the St. Pete Fine Arts Museum when it opened in 1965, and it was she who gave the very first docent tour when the museum opened. She was also an active member of the St. Pete Junior League. Both Philip and Toni were lifelong members of St. Thomas Episcopal Church on Snell Isle.
Philip passed away on May 28, 2005, at the age of 80. Toni then took over presidency of the company which post she managed until the time of her death on October 3, 2011. Both of their ashes were spread at sea near upper Captiva.
The family Trust sold the house in 2009, it had been in the family for 53 years.
Did you like this article? Please use the convenient links below to share on your favorite social channels! It helps us grow and keep writing.