1107 14th Ave N 33705

Then and Now — 1936 & 2024 1107 14th Ave N 33705

From a 1936 Sales Ad: “St. Petersburg’s most distinctive home in exclusive Euclid Place. Triple corner faces south, three bedrooms, living room 25×35, solarium room 20×30. Complete heating system. Hollow tile construction, double garage, servant quarters. In A-1 condition, Large enclosed patio with variety fruit, palms, etc. Underground sprinkling for lawn.”

From a 1936 Article by Lillian Blackstone: “In every home beautiful there is always some especially noteworthy feature, and this is true particularly of this spacious residence. It is the patio in this case that draws the interest of visitors – a large, sunny patio opening just off the front living room. IN the wintertime it is closed off by glass doors and is heated with the rest of the house, but in the summer the doors are thrown wide open, and the room becomes more of a porch and part of the grounds.”

“Because it is so very delightful, emphasis is placed here on its furnishings and color scheme. It is the width of the living room, has tile brick floor and at either side are the same type pillars that are found on the front porch. Comfortable wicker furniture is used in its arrangements and brought-colored Navajo rugs are on the floor and attached to the wall. On either side of the door leading into the rear grounds of the home are potted palms, which provide a touch of the outdoors all during the year.”

“The house is a one story structure, and best described as “a rambling bungalow”. There are eight rooms in all, including three bedrooms, living room, sun parlor (or patio), dining room, breakfast room and den. The master bedroom opens directly into the walled-in-yard.”

“The house was planned by a Canadian architect and has been built for durability as well as for comfort and beauty. It is of interlocked tile, has a basement under the entire building, is heated by a hot air system and has an underground sprinkling system for the palm trees and thickly planted crotons and other sub-tropical plants.”

“The house is most attractive both within and without. It is of a cream color with buff and green trimmings. More than half the grounds are enclosed by a wall of the same material as the home, and against the front wall to the left of the structure are flaming poinsettias. There is a porch in the front, supported by two pillars. In front of these columns on projections at either side of the red brick steps are tall vases painted green.”

“There is a 141-foot frontage, while grounds extend more than this distance in the rear. The yard is enclosed by a wall and is planted with date palms, other palm trees and crotons. In the open grounds on the 12thStreet side, are more palms, also bougainvillea, climbing roses and other effective plants.”

“All the windows in the home are equipped with Venetian blinds.”

This 1925 bungalow was built by William George McGeogh, a Canadian builder, who came to St. Pete in 1917 from Hanover, Ontario. The McGeogh’s lived here until 1935 when they sold it to the Robert Otis family, who lived here until he died in 1943. The house then was sold to Glenn and Lila Simpson and was in their family until 1968.

Emory Glenn Simpson

Emory Glenn Simpson was born on July 3, 1885, in Nelson Ohio to Henry and Cora Simpson. Emory, who went by Glenn, was reared in Ohio and at an early age showed a strong mechanical talent. Glenn excelled in mathematical studies and received his college degree in Engineering.

Lila Armstrong Simpson

On Christmas Eve, 1908, Glenn married Ms. Lila Armstrong, he was 23 and she 27. Lila, who was from Willoughby, Ohio (about 45 miles from Nelson, Ohio), was an avid golfer and had won many woman’s championships.

Glenn had just taken a job at the newly formed Fisher Auto Body, a division of General Motors. A hardworking, intelligent young man, Glenn quickly made his way through the ranks of Fisher Auto Body and has dozens of patents to his credit.

Glenn and Lila were active members at the Detroit Golf and Country Club, where he served as President and Lila was involved in tournaments and competitions.

In 1940, with over 30 years with General Motors as a leading engineer, Glenn and Lila decided that they would start looking for their retirement home. Having heard wonderful things about St. Pete and the local golf courses, they decided to come and look. They fell in love with the sunshine city and purchased this featured home. Glenn and Lila enjoyed their new home, and all the city had to offer in the way of social life and outdoor activity, until Lila died on January 11, 1946, at age 60. She was buried at Memorial Park Cemetery in St. Pete.

Ada Dean Simpson

When Glenn and Lila moved into their new home they met Mrs. Ada Marie Carter Dean, their next door neighbor, whose husband had died in 1942. After Lila’s passing, Glenn and Ada began seeing each other and the couple were married on November 11, 1947.

Glenn and Ada sold her house and the couple set up housekeeping at this featured home. Glenn and Ada were active in the community and social events and lived a comfortable life for 14 years, until Glenn passed away on June 1, 1961, at the age of 76. He is buried next to Lila at Memorial Park Cemetery.

Ada remained in the house where, on May 4, 1965, at age 80, she married David Uhle, a consulting engineer. The marriage didn’t last however, and they were divorced a year later. Ada lived in the house until February 28, 1968, when she died at age 84. She is buried next to Glenn and Lila at Memorial Park Cemetery.

Did you like this article? Please use the convenient links below to share on your favorite social channels! It helps us grow and keep writing.

Follow this thread via email
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.